Saturday, November 24, 2012

How Dorothy Taught Me How to Bake (and Much Much More)

When I was a newlywed half a lifetime ago, I didn’t know how to cook a single thing. I didn’t know how to cook rice, or how to fry an egg, or that hotdogs had to be removed from their plastic casings before being cooked. I was lucky to have a husband who could actually cook and didn’t mind making breakfast. The rest of our meals were either donated by our respective families, or eat outs. At that time, it didn’t seem logical to go through the trouble to preparing our meals since there was just the two of us. Besides, I was completely, utterly clueless in the kitchen.


This is one of the first cookbooks I ever owned. It was actually a gift from beloved friend and mentor, Chef Dorothy Ferreria. She even wrote a personal message inside…


I was inspired to at least give it (cooking) a try. The first recipe I tried from this book was the Old Fashioned Potato Salad. Boiled potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and some condiments mixed together, it looked easy and straightforward enough. I started by boiling my potatoes (which husband had to chop for me because I had absolutely no knife skills), and hard-boiling my eggs. When I opened my eggs, the insides were still soft… not hard and crumbly as would be ideal for a salad. I shrugged, ate the eggs, and started boiling again. When I opened my second batch of eggs, they were still not hard enough. Not wanting to admit to husband that I couldn’t properly hard-boil my eggs, I ate them again to get rid of the evidence, and promptly started boiling again. When the third batch of eggs still weren’t hard enough, I figured I couldn’t keep on stuffing myself with that many eggs and finally asked my husband if he wanted any. He then asked my quizzically why I was giving him 2 eggs  - didn’t I want any? Only then did I admit that I had already eaten 4 eggs and couldn’t eat any more.

When I was finally able to get 2 good hard boiled eggs, I made the salad, and it turned out, well, pretty good. My husband and mom both enjoyed it and it felt nice to have successfully made something on the first try.

I now own many cookbooks, but my go-to guide has always been Dorothy’s cookbook. From her cookbook, I have learned to make Gambas, Beef  Kaldereta, Chicken Barbecue, Chicken Teriyaki, and many others all from scratch. Her recipes are easy to follow, the instructions clear and thorough. But best of all the recipes from the cookbook that I’ve tried so far ALL yielded great results.  It gives a novice cook great confidence to try a recipe knowing that they are kitchen-tested and will actually work. Sometimes, even if I don’t follow the recipe to the letter, just the instructions on procedure helps me understand how the cooking should be done and I am empowered to experiment on my own.

One day a few years ago, my sons and I tried to bake Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from the same book. It was my first time to bake a cake, and my assistants were 2 jokers, ages 4 and 2.  My heart swelled with pride when the cake came out of the oven – we actually baked our own cake! And the looks on the boys’ faces as they licked every last bit of cream cheese frosting from the bowl – absolutely priceless! And the cake turned out so well that we have made it numerous times since. To this day, my boys refuse to eat store-bought carrot cake. They think Mama’s carrot cake is the best. But really, I take no credit for it except that I faithfully followed Dorothy’s recipe word for word.


All these years, the book has been my kitchen companion, my trusty guide. It has been a quiet presence in my kitchen, perhaps like a wise elderly aunt, patiently teaching, revealing secrets, sharing tips, wisdom and experience whenever needed.


This year, I was fortunate enough to attend some of her cooking classes held in her studio in New Manila. And boy, has my repertoire expanded! From the Thai class I learned to make Chicken in Pandan Leaves the authentic way. The chickens are so fragrant, flavorful and juicy that after eating it my dad declared that he’s apparently never eaten the real deal before. A chicken class taught me Chinatown Fried Chicken and Chicken Bulgogi, now standard fare in our home. Today’s Weekend Cook class taught a fantastic oven-baked Lechon that I intend to replicate at home very soon.


Aside from learning all these wonderful recipes, the greatest gift is the joy and satisfaction of making something the family truly enjoys. We now look forward to Sundays not as a day for eating out, but as a day when we make something together to enjoy at home. When my sons say that they want me to cook their meals rather than get the packed lunches at school, I roll my eyes at the work that will entail but feel warm and happy inside. Also, it feels great to be part of a vast community of moms and homecooks, who like me, are happy to share tips and learn something new everyday.



Dorothy gave me this bag as an early Christmas gift. I absolutely love it because in my case, nothing could be more true.  I’ve been lucky to be surrounded by fantastic cooks and chefs who generously share their knowledge with me, but it was really Dorothy and her cookbook who first inspired me to cook and bake for my family.

For more information on Dorothy's cooking and baking classes, visit
www.midlifekitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment